MURDER ON THE WHIPPANY FLYER
What to Expect & Frequently Asked Questions
What should I expect?
- The Morristown & Erie Railway is a real, operating railroad and our number one goal is SAFETY. The primary difference between us and a traditional tourist railroad is our railroad operates both freight trains and excursion trains, therefor, delays may occur and schedule times are adhered to as closely as possible. Passengers and guests must respect and obey all posted signs and must stay off the tracks. Trains can run anywhere at any time on any track.
What happens on the train?
- The show starts on the station platform with the ribbon cutting for the inaugural run of the Whippany Flyer! Passengers then board their train and take their assigned seats and the train leaves approximately 30 minutes after the show begins. A three-course meal is served at your seat consisting of a fresh salad, entree of your choice (selected at time of ticket purchase), and savory dessert. Beverages include lemonade, iced tea, and ice water.
How long is the ride?
- Passengers on our Murder on the Whippany Flyer dinner train do not just ride a train, they are immersed in a full theatrical experience. The time printed on your ticket confirmation is the time the show starts. The show begins on the station platform and then soon after, the train boards. The train leaves approximately 30 minutes after and the duration of the train ride is approximately 60 minutes for a total 90 minute experience.
What kind of train is it?
- Our train is a classic Diesel Steamliner from the heyday of passenger train travel. All cars and locomotives are of 1940's-1960's vintage with a nostalgic feel yet upgraded with modern amenities including heating and air conditioning and restrooms (on select cars).
Our First-Class train consist
Who is the train recommended for?
- Bring the whole family! Our murder mystery trains are a family-friendly show for all age ranges.
What is the theme of the train?
- The show is set in the 1950's with the inaugural run of the NEW Whippany Flyer! Our cast is outfitted in vintage 1950's apparel while performing on board our vintage Streamlined train.
How do I buy tickets?
- Advance ticket sales are required for Murder on the Whippany Flyer. Walk up sales will not be available unless not all tickets are sold.
Tickets can be purchased here or by phone at (862) 701-3294. For large groups, please call.
How early should I arrive?
- We recommend passengers arrive at least 15 minutes prior to but no more than 30 minutes before their scheduled time.
Where does the train leave from?
- All trains depart Whippany Station located at 1 Railroad Plaza in Whippany, NJ conveniently located just off Route 10 West.
Where does the train go?
- The train traverses the Morristown & Erie's Whippany Line approximately four miles and returns for an 8-mile round trip (returns over the same track).
are there restrooms on the train?
- Yes, there are restrooms available on board the train on select cars.
Can we get off the train?
- Our Murder on the Whippany Flyer only receives and discharges passengers at Whippany Station. We do not make any other station stops.
Is there parking at the station?
- Yes, parking is available at the station for ticketed passengers. Please follow signs to the appropriate parking location.
Is the train ADA ACCESSIBLE?
- Historic and vintage rail passenger equipment, like that used on the Murder on the Whippany Flyer dinner train, is exempt from ADA regulations under U.S. Code: Title 42: Section 12184. The passenger cars and station facilities used on this railroad were constructed before disability accessibility laws were adopted. Platforms, boarding areas, stairs, step-stools, seating, and especially doorways, passageways, aisles, and onboard restrooms may not accommodate all passengers. Please contact us ahead of time and we will make every reasonable effort for passengers who desire to ride our trains.
Was your question not answered? Contact us directly! Submit your question to us below and we would be delighted to help you!
1 Railroad Plaza
Whippany, NJ 07981